How to play the flute – Have you asked that question?
If you’re an adult beginner, here are some helpful tips for learning to play the flute.
1) Get the best instrument you can afford.
Your wallet guides your purchase. In almost all cases, the more money you pay, the better instrument you’ll get.
However, you don’t have to mortgage your home to get a good flute. Determine your budget, then see what’s out there. Use word of mouth, check newspaper ads, and online sources to locate possible flutes to buy.
2) Don’t buy a flute until you’ve had it evaluated by a professional.
If you have a friend who plays the flute, ask them to play it and give their opinion.
Take the flute to a repair person and ask what it will cost to bring it up to optimum playing condition. Factor that amount of money into the total purchase price.
3) Purchase a method book that includes a play-along CD. You’ll learn much faster if you have a good concept of what you should sound like in your mind.
Don’t worry about how fast you move through the book. Master each lesson before moving on.
4) Check out online lessons. Cyberflute.com has free online lessons with videos.
5) Get a book with a play-along CD of fun tunes, such as Christmas carols, Disney tunes, or songs from Broadway shows. If the music is fun, you’ll want to play it and you’ll become a more proficient player faster.
6) Find some friends who also play the flute and form a small ensemble. Or, join some other group that plays regularly. The more you play, the better you’ll become, and the more fun you’ll have.